In the late 1920’s, Medford Lakes was a very popular vacation community located in the New Jersey pines, some eighteen miles southeast of Camden and within easy reach of Philadelphia. One of Medford Lakes prominent citizens, Leon Todd, believed that a golf course was needed to provide its residents and summer visitors with a complete range of recreational and sporting opportunities. In 1929, Leon Todd’s dream became a reality when the Medford Lakes Development Company acquired the 115 acre Shrider Farm. This group then hired a Scotsman, Alexander H. Findlay, to design and build the original nine holes of the Medford Lakes Golf Club.
Alex Findlay, known by many as the “Father of American Golf”, was not only a top golfer for many years but was a prolific golf course architect with at least two hundred designs to his credit, including such area courses as Tavistock, Llanerch Country Club and Burlington Country Club. At Medford Lakes, His skillful use of both water and trees gave the course, though on the short side and with few changes in elevation, both interest and charm.
MLCC opened for play in 1930. Twelve years later, the golf course was incorporated as the Medford Lakes Country Club. Its first President was Charles Morrison, who remained in office until 1946 and almost single-handedly piloted the club through its difficult formative years, raising the funds necessary to put it on a sound fiscal basis.
For its first 40 years, Medford Lakes played its golf over the original ‘Findlay’ nine holes. In 1969, after acquiring additional land from the Todd family on the north side of Tabernacle Road, the club decided to expand the course to eighteen holes. Harold C. Purdy, who had apprenticed as a construction supervisor under Robert Trent Jones in the mid-1950’s, designed and built the new holes. Purdy, a native of Wabash, Indiana, would ultimately be involved with 50 courses in New Jersey- 35 new designs and 15 others which he remodeled or expanded.